Sunday, September 2, 2007

Best of 2007

This is My updated Best of 2007. Wilco is still #1. The highest debuts are Peter Case at #14, Giant Bear at #23 and Josh Rouse at #24. I expanded the list to 50 this time but it will get no longer for the rest of the year. Things are going to have to start coming off with any further additions. Also, as usual, I did some rearranging based on further reflection. I finally got the Brandi Carlile album so it is a late entry to the list at #40. However, even in a year full of great releases by female singer songwriters it deserved a spot. Lyle Lovett released this week. However, I have only listened to part of the album so it will wait until next month. Enjoy the list and feel free to tell me how you agree or disagree. Also, make no hesitation to trash me or my intelligence in any way you see fit. I'm used to it.

1) Wilco - "Sky Blue Sky"
2) Patty Griffin - "Children Running Through"
3) White Stripes - "Icky Thump"
4) Kelly Willis - "Translated From Love"
5) Wrinkle Neck Mules - "Wicks Have Met"
6) Jason Isbell - "Sirens of the Ditch"
7) Assembly of Dust - "Recollection"
8) Kane, Welch, Kaplin - Kane Welch Kaplin
9) Hackensaw Boys - "Look Out"
10) The Shins - "Wincing the Night Away"
11) Ryan Adams - "Easy Tiger"
12) John Doe - "A year in the Wilderness"
13) Son Volt - "The Search"
14) Peter Case - "Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John"
15) The Broken West - "I Can't Go on I'll Go on"
16) Elliot Randall - "Take the Fall"
17) The Basement - "Illicit Hugs and Playground Thugs"
18) Paul McCartney - " Memory Almost Full"
19) Sarah Borges and the Broken Singles - "Diamonds in the Dark"
20) Kim Richey - "Chinese Boxes"
21) King Wilkie - "Low Country Suite"
22) Modest Mouse - "We Were Dead Before he Ship Ever Sank"
23) Giant Bear - "Giant Bear"
24) Josh Rouse - "Country Mouse, City house"
25) Feist - "The Reminder"
26) Olav Larsen and the Alabama Rodeo Stars - "Loves' Com to Town"
27) Elizabeth Cook - "Balls"
28) Grace Potter and the Nocturnals - "This is Somewhere"
29) Willy Mason - "If the Ocean Gets Rough"
30) Dale Watson - "From the Cradle to the Grave"
31) Spoon - "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga"
32) The Gourds - "Noble Creatures"
33) The National - "Boxer"
34) Charlie Louvin - "Charlie Louvin"
35) Infamous Stringdusters - "Fork in the Road"
36) Nathan - "Key Principles"
37) Adam Hood - "Different Groove"
38) Steep Canyon Rangers - "Lovin' Pretty Women"
39) Rocky Votolato - "The Brag and Cuss"
40) Brandi Carlile - "The Story"
41) Eilen Jewell - "Letters from Sinners and Strangers"
42) Pela - "Anytown Graffiti"
43) Joe Ely - "Happy Song from Rattlesnake Gulch"
44) Cadillac Sky - "Blind Man Walking"
45) Martin Sexton - "Seeds"
46) The Derailers - "Under the Influence of Buck"
47) Piets Brown - "Remember the Sun
48) Two Cow Garage - "Three"
49) Okervil River - "The Stage Names"
50) Hoots & Hellmouth- "Hoots & Hellmouth"

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I picked up the Peter Case record this week off eMusic. As expected, its great. I really love the song "Underneath the Stars".

Anonymous said...

Great list, great range of selections. I would've included Drew Kennedy's "Dollar Theater Movie". I am sure that Ryan Bingham's upcoming cd from Lost highway will find its way on their before the end of the year as well. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Good call on the Wilco and Isbell. They're both up there in the top of the tops so far this year for me, as well.

And, who doesn't love some Hoots & Hellmouth. Hopefully you've gotten to catch them live. The album doesn't nearly do their performance justice.

Anonymous said...

Chip,

You're the man...I may have to start my own blog, though, and use the other name we discussed. Amber Waves of Twang, I think describes your taste better. You need to start a special section...: "Fitz's Favorite" to give the people some unpretentious, unadulterated twangness. Just a thought. I saw Cadillac Sky last year at a festival in St. Augustine, they were great live. You need to check out Bonepony's new live album, "Celebration Highway", It really captures their passion and energy while showcasing the quality of their pickin'. Anyway, I'm putting you in my "Favorites" so I won't miss any musings by my favorite Victorian blogger.