Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Olav Larsen and the Alabama Rodeo Stars

I must admit I heard the song before I heard they were from Norway. My first reaction was "Norway, what part of Alabama is that town located." I couldn't find it on any map. Then I realized that despite a band name referencing Alabama they really are from Norway. It is hard enough for a Southern boy like me to conceive of country music created above the Mason-Dixon line, but Norway. No way! They don't play country music in Norway. In fact, they do. Europe actually has a fairly healthy Americana scene.

Love Comes to Town is a very compelling Americana album. In large part because Olav Larsen learned about country music the best way. He bought records and listened to them. He was not influenced by glitz and cheese of mainstream Nashville. The influences he credits are Jimmie Rodgers, Johnny Cash, Townes Van Zandt, John Prine, The Band and Uncle Tupelo. All of these influences are apparent on this album. They use a mix of instrumentation that sounds both traditional and current. Traditional like on "You Can Call Me Baby" and "Ain't Got Time"; but more edgy on songs like "Give Me Your Love" and "Your the Only One" In the end it is one very satisfyng album.

Check out the link to this video which has been released in Europe:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great call on this one. Awesome record! I wish Olav would come to the States for shows.