Thursday, May 22, 2008

Fresh Thoughts on the New Old 97s


The Old 97s are one of my favorite bands. Maybe even my fovorite. A lot of people are saying the new CD Blame it on Gravity is recapturing their early sound. In fact that has been the tone of most of the reviews I've seen. I don't disagree with that point. However, this album is more than that. It is fresh also. This is no attempt to reproduce early works. What makes Gravity so refreshing to me is that it captures both sides of the band. The first side is the band that made the ground breaking Alt-Country album Too Far to Care. The other side is the band that made one of the best all time Power Pop albums Sattelite Rides. These two sides merge on Gravity and show the OLD 97s are not standing still and certainly are not going backwards. They are reborn and entering a new stage of their career. I for one can't wait to see where it goes.

I would be interested to see what you think. Join the conversation below.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dead link in that vid, Fraz ..

Says "no longer available"

and you just posted

it !!!

Mick Gee

Anonymous said...

In the words of the late

great, Gilda Radner's

character, whose

name slips my

mind ...


"Nevermind"

Rip Rowan said...

I fell in love with the Old 97's one night at Club Dada, a couple of weeks after the release of "Hitchhike". My band was opening for them, and their energy, enthusiasm, and love of the show was infectious. I bought a copy of Hitchhike and listened to it about 287,933 times.

I've been a big fan of the Old 97's for almost as long as they've been a band. So when they decided to come to Pleasantry Lane to record "Gravity" with me and Salim, I just wanted to make the kind of 97's album I'd want to rush out and buy. Something that was both playful and serious, something that was both country and rock, something that was both party and arty.

I think we succeeded. "Gravity" is my favorite Old 97's album. Glad you love it, too.

Chip Frazier said...

Wow I'm honored to have one of the producers comment. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts Chip! I have been trying to explain to family and friends why i like this album and why I think its different than the past couple, and you have nailed it! How exciting is it that all 4 original members are still together. Bottle Rockets, Wilco, Son Volt, etc...cant say that after the end of the alt-country "explosion", can they?

Chip Frazier said...

Kelly, good point. I never thought about the fact that they are one of the few that have their original group together.